LEICESTER, Mass. — The Leicester Police Department is launching its second Citizen's Police Academy in March, and residents are invited to explore the world of law enforcement by taking part in six-week course.
The goal of the academy is to expose residents and business owners in the community "to the functions of the department and its officers while learning from our community representatives," said Leicester Police Chief Jim Hurley.
Topics covered as part of the citizens’ academy curriculum include:
• Massachusetts Criminal Law & Procedure
• Massachusetts Motor Vehicle Law
• Operating Under the Influence of Alcohol Laws
• The Massachusetts Controlled Substance Act
• Introduction to Forensic Science
• Criminal Investigations
• Death Scenes
• Sexual Assaults
• Financial Crimes
• Police Firearms & Safety
• Applied Patrol Procedures
Every person attending the Citizens’ Police Academy will be provided the opportunity to participate in a ride-along with an Leicester police officer.
Classes will be held from 6:30 to 8 p.m. on Wednesday nights beginning March 13, and will run for six weeks.
The classes are held in the Leicester Police Department’s training room located at the Leicester Police Department, 90 South Main Street, Leicester, MA.
The academy is free of charge and is limited to 24 students.
• Must be 21 years of age at the start of the academy (March 2, 2013).
• Reside in the Town of Leicester or own a business in Leicester.
• No prior felony convictions.
• No prior misdemeanor convictions within the last two years.
• No pending litigation involving the Leicester Police Department.
• Must pass a background check prior to the start of the academy.
• There are no physical requirements to participate in the Citizens’ Police Academy. Participants will not be asked to do anything you do not wish to do.
Applications must be received by the Leicester Police Department no later than 4 p.m. Friday, March 8 for acceptance into the 2nd Citizens’ Police Academy. For more information, contact Antanavica at firstname.lastname@example.org.